Who We Are
The Juneau Jumpers is a multi-age rope skipping team located in our capital city of Juneau, Alaska. Juneau Jumpers is a non-profit organization founded by Bob Berry and Dwayne Bonk in 1985. Our existence relies entirely on a staff of volunteer coaches, and supportive parents led by the board. Combining age groups provides participants an opportunity to break down age barriers that often exist in traditional sports. The program focuses on teamwork and individual achievement and encourages experienced jumpers to mentor newer jumpers.
|Our Current Team: 2010-2011|
Rope skipping is an excellent aerobic activity, which provides Juneau with a fun indoor sport for our rainy climate. Through the sport of rope skipping we hope to:
- Encourage and establish the love of a lifetime sport for health and fitness.
- Encourage a caring and sharing attitude.
- Allow for the learning of patience, diligence and cooperation.
- Encourage each jumper to become an active, productive and supportive member of the team.
- Foster confidence, discipline, responsibility and leadership.
What We Do
Juneau Jumpers compete in local, regional, national and international rope skipping tournaments, as well as providing entertaining demonstration shows. Participants practice individually and at twice-weekly team workouts, which start in September and end in late April or early May. Practices are held at the Juneau Jumpers home gym at Glacier Valley Elementary School. Annual events for the Juneau Jumpers may include:
- Skill Building Workshops and Tryouts
- School Assembly Performances
- Elementary Invitational Tournaments
- Regional Invitational Tournaments
- Community Show and Dessert/Gift Auction
- Spring Show and Raffle Ticket Drawing
- Jump Rope USA Summer Camps
- National and International Championships
Our partners include several jump rope satellite programs sponsored by our local elementary schools train young jumpers in the basics of the fun sport of rope skipping.
Call schools for more information.
|Auke Bay Ropers||Auke Bay Elementary||Paula Kalbrener|
|Gastineau Skippers||Gastineau Elementary||Ethel Smith|
|Jumping Bears||Glacier Valley Elementary||Susie Denton|
|Harborview Hoppers||Harborview Elementary||Dave Haas|
|Riverbend Elementary||Carol May|
|Mendenhall River Elementary|
Juneau Jumpers is a non-profit organization that relies on dedicated parent volunteers to coordinate a variety of annual fund raising events. Proceeds from these fund raising events are used to send jumpers to regional, national and world competitions and to jump rope camps for continued training. Fund raising events include:
- Dessert & Gift Auction - Each winter the Juneau Jumpers hold a demonstration show for the community followed by a dessert and gift basket auction which hosts variety of wonderful desserts and gift baskets made by the jumpers and their families.
- Raffle Ticket Drawing - Thanks to the generous donations of local sponsors the Juneau Jumpers is able to hold a raffle each spring. The drawing is held at our annual End-of-Year show in late April or early May.
We have several sponsors that support the success of this team. Sponsors include both individuals donating time and talents and local business supplying everything from facilities to prize donations for fund raising.
Glacier Valley Elementary provides our home in the form of an office and gym space where we hold our regular practices and other events.
Many thanks to the following businesses for their generous support:
- Alaska Airlines
- Wings Airways and Taku Glacier Lodge
- NorthStar Trekking - Helicopters
- Allen Marine Tours Juneau
- White Pass and Yukon Route Railway
- Heritage Coffee
- Bullwinkles Pizza
- Juneau Police Department (APOA)
- Action Rehab
- Lions Club
- Rebounders Club
- City and Borough of Juneau
- Studio A - Juneau
If you are sponsor and not listed above, please send me a note.